Home / Beijing Tour / Beijing Private Tour / Beijing Discover / Beijing Attractions :
Military Museum of the Chinese People’s Revolution
Chinese Name: 中国人民革命军事博物馆
No.9 Fuxing Road, Haidian District, Beijing, China
Direction: On the extension cord of Chang'an Avenue, west of Tiananmen Square
Distance: 7 km to the center of the city (Tiananmen Square)
No admission charge but the valid identification is needed for the day's entry pass.
Subway Line 1 and Line 9
Bus No.1, T1, T5, T6, 21, 32, 68, 205, 308, 320, 337, 617, 728, 802, 827
As China's only, largest and comprehensive institution dedicated exclusively to military history, this majestic museum was opened to the public in 1960 on Army Day (August 1) of the Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA). The building of the Military Museum was ranked among the top ten landmarks of the People's Republic of China.
Why got its this name:
Premier Zhou Enlai earmarked substantial sums for the construction of the emblem: The birth and growth of the Military Museum demonstrated the devoted concern and deep love of proletarian revolutionary leaders of generations past.
Function or value in the past:
Military Museum of the Chinese People's Revolution was constructed in 1958 as gift of the celebration of the Tenth National Day Anniversary (1959).
At the beginning of July 2010, under the approval of the Central Committee of Communist Party of China and the Central Military Commission, the Military Museum would commence the renovation at the end of 2011.
As part of the plans to make the Military Museum a world class museum, the new museum will be expanded from its present size of 60,000 sq meters to 148,000 sq meters. There will also be significant improvements in the display system, social and educational service, and the technologies used in the preservation and utilization of relics.
Marshal Chen Yi went to the Museum with his own brush and wrote out the titles for the subsidiary halls. Premier Zhou, along with Marshals Zhu De and Peng Dehuai contributed their own first-class red-star badges. Marshal Nie Rongzhen provided his pistol and photos. Marshals Chen Yi and Ye Jianying donated their collections of treasured photographs to the Museum. Marshal He Long instructed troops to search for surviving cannons, only one left, that was taken to northern Shanxi Province during the Long March (1934-1936). With such support, the Military Museum has come to house over 140,000 military relics dating from times ancient and modern to contemporary, along with special relics from the Chinese people's revolutionary war and a few military artworks.
Military Museum covers 93,700 square meters, with a total built up area of 136,000 square meters, including an exhibition area of over 40,000 sq m. The Military Museum's exhibition building has two wings of four stories each, and a 94.7m-tall main building of seven stories, topped with the Chinese People's Liberation Army's gilded emblem measuring 6 meters in diameter. Above the main gate hangs a giant bronze plaque with the gilded title of "Military Museum of the Chinese People's Revolution" written in the brush strokes of Chairman Mao Zedong. On the two sides of the front gate stand two white marble sculptures: one is a group of soldiers from the land, navy and air forces; and the other is a group of Chinese citizen soldiers.
Sceneries (Exhibition Halls):
The Hall of Ancient Wars
The Hall of Modern Wars
The Hall of the Agrarian Revolutionary War (1927-1937)
The Hall of the War to Resist Japanese Aggression (1937-1945)
The Hall of the War of Liberation of China (1945-1949)
The Hall of the War to Resist US Aggression and Aid Korea (1951-1953)
The Hall of China's National Defense and Army Building Achievements of New China The Hall of Weapons
The Hall of Selected Military Artworks
The Hall of Friendly Exchanges between China's PLA and Foreign Militaries
The Hall of Sculpture of Chen Yunxian etc.
The Hall of Military Science and Technology
As of May 2011, the Military Museum had totally set up 11 exhibition halls. The Military Museum's collection assembles 5,000 years of China's invaluable military cultural heritage, presents a series of the glorious achievements of the People's Army for military revolution and showcases its tremendous deeds in defending the nation and building the army with the founding of the People's Republic of China in 1949.
The basic functions of the Military Museum are as follows:
1. Collect, study, display the cultural relics, artifacts, documentation and information which reflect the military struggle history under the leadership of the Chinese Communist Party, achievements of People's Army, 5,000 years of the Chinese military history
2. Hold varieties of exhibitions on thematic events, current events and memorial events
3. Receptions of visitors at home and abroad
4. Organize the related academic research and artistic creation
5. Communicate with other museums at home and abroad
08:30 - 17:30 from August to October
08:30 - 17:00 from November to March
The Military Museum is open all year round from Tuesday to Sunday, and closed on Monday. "Notice of Closure" will be provided for any other occasions.
It will stop selling tickets 30 minutes before closed.
1. Visitors are required to go through a security check before entering the museum. The following items are prohibited from being taken into the museum:
(1) hazardous substances including those that are flammable, explosive, toxic or radioactive;
(2) guns, ammunition, and restricted knives such as daggers, triple-grooved or flick knives;
(3) prohibited articles such as illicit drugs and obscene materials;
(4) other articles that may endanger national interest or public security, or inconvenience other visitors.
2. With their entry passes, visitors may deposit their large packages and belongings at the checked-baggage office without any charge before entering the Museum. All bags have to be checked before depositing. Bags shall not include the following items: dangerous or toxic substances that are flammable, combustible or breakable. Please carry the following items with you: confidential materials, cash, watches, cameras, video cameras, gold, silver and jewelry. Visitors shall be responsible for any loss or damage of any these items if they are not checked out during depositing in checked-baggage office. Please account for your items at museum when you collect the bags.
Website of Attractions:
Views from Travelers:
We came across to pass the Military Museum. My daughter wanted to get into the museum. Because of the renovation, some of the airplanes and tanks were moved outdoor. She was really happy and excited to see so many aircrafts, tanks and missiles.
The Military Museum is one of my favorite museums in Beijing for I like the substantive ones.
It was a pity that we were not able to get in because of the renovation. But the exhibits outdoors had made us so excited. There were also detailed information about the exhibits. It's very sweet!
I believe that each boy had a soldier dream. Here in the Military Museum, you can see so many military hardwares to have an impressive experience of the ancient war.
Beijing Boxing Mall (o.18 km away)
China Science and Technology Hall (0.75 km away)
Beijing Maolinyuan Hotel (0.62 km away)
Beijing Tianyou Mall (0.89 km away)
Hanting Inn Hotel (0.93 km away)
Home Inn Hotel (0.92 km away)
I want you to know that we had a good experience with your company...
Beijing Tour Knowledge
#.Question: Which hotel you suggest when i plan a trip to Beijing?
We suggest Beijing Prime Hotel (5 star), Holiday Inn Temple