Huanghuacheng Great Wall
Built in 1575, Huanghuacheng Great Wall is located at the Xishuiyu Pass, which was demolished to give way to the dam of the Xishuiyu Reservoir. Some ancient walls were submerged at several places. This made the unique landscape with three sections of the walls going in and out of the water in different ways.
With a length of 10,800 meters, Huanghuacheng Great Wall is a resort with mountains, lakes and the ancient Great Wall.
HistoryHuanghuacheng Great Wall was built in 1575, with a history of more than 500 years. It is located in Huairou District, 65 kilometers from Beijing City. The great wall was constructed under the supervision of General Cai Kai. It took many years to complete the project. It was said that the Emperor became very angry because some jealous ministers scolded that the General Cai Kai had spent too much money. He beheaded General Cai Kai. Then the Emperor sent a trusted ministers to check the great wall and was reported that the wall was was solid and steep with the finest workmanship. He built a a tomb and memorial stele in honor of the loyal general. The Emperor also wrote the two characters “Jin Tang” to show the great wall was firm and solid. The characters was carved on a huge rock below the wall. So Huanghuacheng Great Wall is sometimes called Jintang Great Wall.
The lake under the wall is called Jintang Lake. In 1974, to give way to the dam of the Xishuiyu Reservoir, some parts of Huanghuacheng Great Wall submerged under the water.
see more Huanghuacheng Great Wall photo
Huanghuacheng Great Wall is almost 11 kilometers long, connecting Mutianuyu Great Wall in the east, Juyongguan and Badaling Great Wall in the west. There is no stone steps or single smooth path like the ones found at other sections of the Great Wall. There are four attractions you should visit at least:
1. The special landscape with part of the Wall under water and part of the Wall still visible.
2. There is an ancient chestnut garden beneath the Great Wall. The chestnuts standing in different shapes and sizes in the garden were planted during the Ming Dynasty(1368-1644) and still grow very well.
3. The steepest section of the Huanghuacheng Great Wall is called Shibadeng. It is like a dragon ready to fly into the sky.
4. The great wall comprises of 6 forts, 6 passes, 12 beacon towers, and 32 watch towers. Among them, Yaoziyu Fort is the best preserved. Built in 1592, it covers an area of 7,000 square meters. There is an ancient Chinese scholar tree in the castle. It is said that touching it will bring you good luck. Moreover, Black Dragon Pool near the great wall are famous for its clear and cold spring water.
- Huanghuacheng Wall Tour
- Huanghuacheng Great Wall Map
- Huanghuacheng Tour Map
- Huanghuacheng Great Wall Photo
Best season of Huanghuacheng Great Wall TourHuanghuacheng Great Wall has different views in different seasons. The best season is in the late spring and early summer. The great wall is decorated with yellow wildflowers in this time. This is why the great wall was named Huanghuacheng (the city of yellow flower).
DinningThere is a specialty shopping center on the Peninsula in the heart of the Reserve. The shopping center provides snacks, barbecue, and farm dishes. The barbecue varieties include roast lamb, gigot, kebab, cattle tendon and sinew, chicken wing, reservoir fish, little fish, and corn. There is also a Carefree Teahouse on the the Peninsula offering various teas made with local spring water.
Transportation1. Rent a private car and guide. It is the most convenient way.
2. Take bus no. 916 from Dongzhimen Bus Station to Huairou Country, take a taxi to Great Wall.
3. Take special tourist bus from the Dongzhimen station or Xuanwumen Station. The bus is only available on weekend and holiday.