North of Lianxiang Bridge, Third North Ring Road, Haidian District, Beijing, China
: Northwest of Tiananmen
: 10.7 km away from the city center Tiananmen
20 RMB/person, 10 RMB/student
Free to those first 200 visitors every Wednesday
Subway Line 13 at Dazhongsi Station
Bus T8Waihuan, T8Neihuan, Yuntong101, Yuntong201, K300Waihuan, 323Waihuan, K323, 361, 422, 425, 601, 604, 626, 658, 695, 718, 836, 967
Dazhong Temple was built in 1733. Dazhong means big bell in Chinese. The temple got this name for it treasures up a huge bell made in Ming dynasty. The ancient bell in the Ancient bell Museum of the temple is worth to visit.
Why got its this name
The temple treasured up a big bell named Yongle made in Ming dynasty. Dazhong is Chinese character which means big bell.
Function or value in the past
Dazhong Temple was the place where the Emperors of Qing dynasty prayed for rain.
Yongle Bell is called the King Bell. Compared with the other big bells in the world, Yongle Bell has five special characteristics as follows:
1. Yongle Bell has great shape and weight. This huge bell has over 560 years history and rich historical connotation.
2. Yongle Bell has the most inscription of 230,000 characters. It is not only the miracle of the casting technique, but also model of Chinese calligraphy.
3. Yongle Bell has excellent music features.
4. Yongle Bell has advanced mechanical structure. The 46.5 tons big bell is hung under the timer beams just with a copper bolt which is 1 meter long, 0.14 meter high and 0.065 meters wide. That is really amazing. According to the mechanical specialist, this is just the proportion of them which also keeps the overall aesthetic.
5. Yongle Bell has high casting technology in the world. In the 18th century, Russia had tried to build a larger bell than this one in Beijing. They casted a 193 tons bell. Because of the poor technology, the bell never rang.
Ancient Bell Museum
Ancient Bell Museum is the only themed museum about the collection, research, development and utilization of ancient bells. The exhibition area is about 2,500 square meters, including 10 exhibition halls.
Legend and Story
It is said the big bell in Dazhong Temple weighs 43 tons. Thus it is called King Bell in Beijing. After Zhu Di became the emperor of Yan in Ming dynasty, he was always afraid that somebody reversed his crown. To wipe out all the civil resistance, he ordered to take over all weapons of the civilians and casted a bell, which was unscripted the Avatamsaka Sutra. He thought the civilians would not resist his power after hearing the bell. Later, the big bell sank to the bottom of the river in front of Wanshou Temple. In Qing dynasty, the emperor sent people to take it out to Juesheng Temple and build a Bell tower to hang the bell. The craftsmen leveled the land, digged trough, released the water and iced. The big bell slided to Juesheng Temple. People all felt easy to call Dazhong Temple than Juesheng Temple.
09:00 - 16:30 from Tuesday to Sunday
Closed on Mondays
Stop ticketing at 16:00