Introduction of Pearl
China is one of the earliest countries to use pearl. There was record of the freshwater mussel and pearl four thousand years ago.
According to the form factors, pearls can be classified into natural pearl and cultured pearl. Natural pearls refer to the natural formed ones in the body of shellfish and mussels. Usually, people divide pearls into sea pearl, freshwater pearl and cultured pearl. Fresh water pearl refers to pearl from rivers.
Varieties of Pearl
South Sea Pearl
South Sea pearl refers to the natural or cultured sea pearl produced from the coastal States of South Pacific including Australia, Indonesia, Phillipin, Myanmar, Thailand and etc.
South Sea Cultured Pearl in China
In the years of 1980th , South Sea Cultured Pearl in China massed to enter the international market. The production now has reached the level of Japan sea pearl. South sea cultured pearls in China are mainly from He Pu and Beihai in Guangxi province, Leizhou peninsula in Guangdong province and Sanya in Hainan province.
Appreciation of Pearl
Luster is the soul of the pearl. If the pearl has no luster or less luster, it has less anima. Put the pearl flat on the white clean cloth, you can see the soft sheen. Watch the pearl against the light, rainbow light can be seen on it. The super bright pearls can be listed into level A while the less bright ones can be listed into level B.
There are four levels of the pearl including super bright level A, very bright level B, bright level C and not so bright level D.
The rounder the more beautiful, which just meets the Chinese aesthetic habits. The large and round pearl shows the beauty of the round moon.
Usually, the shape of the pearl includes super round A1≤1, round A2≤5, near round A3≤10, ellipse B >10 (also drop-shaped and pear-shaped), flat (which has symmetry) and special-shaped which is quite irregular.
Pearls with less defects are the better.
Pearls that are small than 6mm are not in the category of treasure. Pearls that are 7-9mm are quite popular. Pearls that are 10 mm are quite valuable. Only South Sea pearls and black pearls are over 11mm. The larger, the more rare and more valuable.
The white pearls are the most popular ones, pure and elegant. The black pearls are mysterious and noble. The pink ones are pure and romantic. And the gold ones are luxury and graceful.
People choose color of the pearl according to their favor, skin color, dresses and occasions.
Maintenance of Pearl
Purification of Pear
Putting each 10g of the pearl into a cup of Yu Shou salt for 24 hours can help to clean up the dirt on the pearl.
Daily Maintenance of Pearl
Pearl is not suitable to touch perfume, oil, salt, alcohol, hair cream, vinegar and dirty things and also the organic solvents. It is not suitable to wear pearl in summer for people sweat. When not used, pearl should be cleaned with soft cotton cloth and dry in the wind. No washing in any kind of cleaning agent. No exposure for a long time in the sun and no store with naphthalene.
1. Avoid acid erosion.
2. Far away from the kitchen.
3. Use cashmere cloth to clean.
4. No immersion into water.
5. Air is needed.
6. Avoid exposure for a long time in the sun.
7. Prevention of hard scraping.
8. Put it flat to store.
9. Check the line periodically.
Identification of Pure Pearls and Artificial Ones
1. The friction of pure pearls feels rough while friction of the artificial ones feels smooth. (But it's not good to make friction on the pearls because the surface of the pearl is thin and weak.)
2. If the pearls are drilled, pure ones would have distinctive holes while the artificial ones would have paint accumulation.
3. Colors of different pearls are different while the artificial ones all have the same color. There are mainly white pearls, yellow pearls and black pearls cultured in France since 1960.
4. Pure pearl feels cool while the artificial ones don't.
5. Shape of the natural pearls are natural while the artificial ones are usually super round which is made by machines.