Introduction of Jade
Jade is a kind of gem popular by the world especially by people in Southeast Asia. Jade can be classified into Nephrite and Jadeite.
Nephrite is the Chinese traditional jade material. Because jade from Chinese Xinjiang area, people usually called Nephrite He Tian Jade. Nephrite is usually opaque or translucent. According to the color, Nephrite can be classified into White Jade, Topaz, Blue Jade, Jasper, Black Jade and Sugar Jade.
Jadeite refers to jade from Myanmar.
Both nephrite and jadeite are hard enough with shinny color, so we call them King of the Stone. The jade itself is valuable. And after processing and carving, it becomes priceless treasure. As developed with times, the jade culture comes into being.
On the generalized definition, jade also includes colored stones, which is also called fake jade like white marble, Beijing white jade and etc. It also includes diamonds, agate, crystal, amber, turquoise, coral, pearl and other treasures.
Jade and Health
Jade contains more than ten kinds of trace elements like gold, silver, silicon, magnesium, selenium, zinc, iron, manganese and etc. Daily wear, play or use of jade pendants can help those trace elements getting into human body through infiltration of skin and acupuncture points, which can also help adjust the functions of human body and promote the health situation.
China has had the reputation of Country of Jade since the ancient times. Ancient Chinese people took jade as treasure. They processed it to be jade lock, jade plates, jade bracelet, jade anklet, jade hanging chain, jade snuff bottles and other jade decorations and arrangements.
The wine cups made by sapphire jade and blue white jade have not only the elegant profiles but also the functions of changing structure of the wine. They can make the wine taste sweet and soft.
Four Famous Jade in China
Four famous jade in China refer to He Tian Jade from Xinjiang province, Xiu Jade from Xiuyan County in Liaoning province, Dushan Jade from Nanyang County in Henan province and Turquoise from Yun County in Hubei province.
Maintenance and Cleaning of Jade
1. Avoid collision with hard objects. Jade is easy to crack after the collision. Sometimes the cracks can not be found by eyes. But dark cracks have already existed in the surface, which would prejudice its perfection and economic value.
2. Avoid sun exposure to prevent effects to the texture and color of the jade.
3. Avoid chemical agents. Chemical agents like various kinds of detergent, soap, insecticide, cosmetics, perfumes and hair styling agents would bring damage to the jade. If touched, it should be erased and washed timely to prevent damage to the jade.
4. Avoid dust and grease. If dust and grease were found on the surface of jade, they should be washed by light soap water first and clean water second. Do avoid using chemical oil removal agent.
5. Newly-bought jade pendant should be immersed in the clean water for a few hours, then cleaned by soft brush and dried by clean cotton cloth. Then you can wear it.
6. Jade pendants should be wiped by clean, soft and white cloth, not the dyeing fabric or fiber hard cloth, to help maintain the original quality.
7. Jade pendants should be cleaned regularly.
8. Tether of jade pendants and other pendants should be checked usually to avoid being lost.
Identification of Jade
Put a drop of water on the jade, if it forms like the dew and not spread for a long time, the jade is true.
Touched by hand, if it feels cold and lubricating , the jade is true.
Observed against the light, the jade with crystal evenly-distributed color is true.
Jade tastes puckery by tongue is true.
The hardness of utility knife is 5. Either Nephrite or Jadeite has the hardness over 5. Jade can not be carved by utility knife.
In addition, jade can be observed by magnifying glass. If there is crack, it would have lower value.
Identification of Jade Quality
Six standards can be used to identify the quality of jade.
Green is the best color of jade. Red, purple jade only have 1/5 the value of green ones. Jade with dim color or light yellow jade are low-grade.
Jade with no dirty mixed spots and being crystal and transparent like glass are high-grade. Translucent jade is called medium jade while opaque jade is called common jade.
3. Color Uniformity
Color of the jade should be distributed evenly. Jade with uneven color distribution has low value.
4. Shape and Size
Jade can be processed into different shapes according to different aesthetic requirements. Generally speaking, jade is the larger the better.
There are usually cracks in the jade which is not easily to find. Knock with metal rod or throw it lightly on the plate, you can listen to the sound, the clearer and more melodious, the better.
Use 10 times magnifying glass to observe, the tinny spots and blemishes can all be found clearly.
Jade can be classified into 10 grades. White jade has the lowest value.
Natural jade has light color but not light blue. There is also synthesis of jade, which has different specific gravity. Usually the heavier one is true jade.
Identification of Fake Jade
Watch the crystal transparency, inner structure and luster. True jade has transparency body, oil sheen, natural patterns and specific internal fiber which is not easy to imitate.
True jade sounds crispy while fake ones sound muffled.
Mainly test the hardness. Most of the jade, except the Xiu jade and turquoise, can draw a streak on the glass with no injury on itself. Fake jade is soft and it cannot draw streak on glass.
Values of Jade
Jade is not common merchandise. Its value depends on the amount of labor, but it's not absolute. The value of jade is largely influenced by the quality of the stones, handling art of the stones by the artists, aesthetic standards and material conditions. Difference among nations, social customs, traditional ideas and faith cause different cognitions on the value of jade. That's why jade can not be valued.